A TASTE OF BURGUNDY JULY/AUGUST 2011


A great way to learn about Burgundy and its wines, and (even better) the perfect way to get a discount on two high quality bottles. Sign up now!
 

Click here to receive the Taste of Burgundy Sampler automatically every other month.

Basic Facts for those of you who are new to the program: Every two months we select two Burgundies, one red and one white. We include write-ups detailing the background of the grower, the vineyard source, and the wine. Finally we knock a significant percentage off the prices of the wines, making the Sampler price $89.98. If you would like us to add you to the Sampler Club and receive the wines regularly, please specify “store pickup” or “ship it” in the comments field, and we will charge your card accordingly. If you would like us to ship faster than the standard ground service, please specify this as well.

2006 Marc Morey Chassagne-Montrachet, 1er Cru “En Virondot”
Winemaker Bernard Mollard (son-in-law of Marc Morey) was quite taken by the 2006 vintage. “2006 is more interesting in white as they are already approachable yet will age.” The En Virondot vineyard sits just south of the village and its elevated perch lends itself to producing wines of distinct freshness. Mollard points to this freshness when discussing the 2006. He jokes that his En Virondot is actually a “label” monopole. What he means by that is 89% of the vineyard is owned by his domaine. The owner of the other 11% does not declare any En Virondot, therefore Mollard’s is the only bottling. Burghound’s Allen Meadows had this to say about the wine, “A green fruit, citrus and pear nose merges gracefully into refined, pure and focused flavors that are also a bit more powerful than usual though there is plenty of the hallmark minerality and vibrancy on the impressively long and fine finish. Lovely juice.” We think so too. Enjoy now-2015.

2008 Domaine Château de la Maltroye, 1er Cru Chassagne-Montrachet “Clos du Château”
A bona fide monopole, the Premier Cru Clos du Château de la Maltroye is a special vineyard in the village of Chassagne. The detail-oriented proprietor, Jean-Pierre Cournut considers the 2008 vintage for his red wines “a big surprise”. If you know anything about Cournut, there usually aren’t any surprises! With help from his new vineyard manager, Bruno Denizot, they’ve turned out a sure-fire, classic Chassagne Rouge in 2008. More from Burghound, “Subtle nuances of smoke, spice, earth and pepper add interest to the layered, ripe and expressive cassis and dark berry fruit nose that is in keeping with the seductive, round and velvety flavors that are utterly delicious while culminating in a harmonious and balanced finish.” TOB vets may recognize the label, as we’ve featured the Clos du Château before. If they’re this dang good, why stop? Drink from 2013-2020. – Peter Zavialoff

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under A Taste of Burgundy, Burgundy, Cote du Beaune, French Wine, Peter Zavialoff, Wine Clubs/Samplers

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s